Gifts That Make An Impact Now
If you would like to make an impact on your community today, consider the giving options below — many of which have financial and personal benefits to you.
To support the Archdiocese of Chicago’s current work, make a gift online or by mail to:
Archdiocese of Chicago
Office of Stewardship and Development
835 North Rush Street
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Please make checks payable to Archdiocese of Chicago. If you would like to direct your gift to a specific fund or initiative, please indicate it on the memo line.
To make a gift over the phone, please call the Office of Stewardship and Development at 312.534.7959.
Gifts of Appreciated Securities
You can use stocks, bonds and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to support our shared vision. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
To make a gift of stock or securities to your parish or the archdiocese, please follow the instructions below:
1. Please complete the electronic Letter of Intention form, which is available online here.
2. Once you have submitted the form, you will receive a confirmation email with detailed instructions on how to complete your gift of stock. Please follow those instructions.
3. If you have any questions, please contact Karen Whitehead in the Archdiocese Stewardship and Development Office at 312.534.7461 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualified Charitable Distribution
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to your parish or the Archdiocese of Chicago. This is an effective way to have an immediate impact and ensure we can continue providing inspiration, education and services to the less fortunate in our Archdiocese and throughout the world.
Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year, and a married couple may give up to $200,000 per year.
- An individual may take a one-time QCD up to $50,000 to fund a charitable gift annuity (CGA) or charitable remainder trust (CRT).
- Your gift must be transferred directly from your IRA account to the Archdiocese of Chicago.
- Your gift is a direct transfer of funds from your IRA to your parish or the Archdiocese of Chicago so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.*
- If you are 73 and older, this direct transfer of funds to charity counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution from your IRA.
You can download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here to start the distribution process. You may also be able to request a qualified charitable distribution through your online account portal.
To make a QCD gift to the Archdiocese of Chicago, download our checklist of instructions.
Learn more about giving to your IRA
* Please note: If you are still working and contributing to a retirement account, this gift could impact your taxable income. Please consult a qualified advisor before making a gift.
Recommend a grant from your donor-advised fund
A donor-advised fund (DAF) is often administered by a financial services company or a community foundation. It allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your parish and/or the Archdiocese of Chicago.
You can use your DAF to make a one-time gift, or to create a recurring monthly or quarterly gift for even more impact.
To conveniently initiate a grant from your DAF, click the button below. Simply type in the name of your fund sponsor and the system will prompt you through the process.
You can learn more about donor-advised funds here.
Matching Gift Opportunities
Would you like to maximize the impact of your giving and encourage other supporters to mobilize on behalf of the Catholic schools, churches and projects in the Archdiocese? Consider sponsoring a matching gift challenge. Donate a pool of funds to your parish and/or the Archdiocese of Chicago, from which we will match any donation made within a given period of time. In this way, you can double the impact of your giving.
Memorial or Tribute Gift
When you give a memorial or tribute gift to your parish and/or the Archdiocese of Chicago to honor someone special, you’re expressing your love, admiration and gratitude in one of the most meaningful ways there is. Your gift will honor your loved one, create a lasting tribute and serve your community.
The Impact of Your Giving
$40,000 could be given as a legacy gift to bring the light of Christ through spiritual renewal to the communities in the archdiocese.
$10,000 could provide a scholarship for a student to receive an education rooted in our Catholic faith.
$1,500 given yearly could sustain the Archdiocese's programs in schools, parishes, and low-income communities and make you eligible for The Lumen Cordium Society.
*Please note that these examples are for illustration purposes only and actual gift amounts may differ. Please contact our team to see the impact you can make possible.